Translator

 

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pancakes party


I had been and still am a big fan of pancakes !! I can't really explain the reason, but I like the appearance of golden crispy pancakes and I love the sensation of them in my mouth.

There used to be a stall selling western food and pancakes near my house, but the day it closed shop was the day I stopped having pancakes that frequently. Pancakes are Americans' regular breakfast, but they don't seem that common here in Malaysia. I usually have my share of pancakes only on vacations, hotels usually serve pancakes with maple syrup :).

It is study week now. But it is extremely boring to have to study all day. It doesn't help that my 1st subject isn't even my field (Food Food Food). But it is a computer subject, something I am not pro at all. This is my 1st time understanding what does RAM stands for and why does it affect a computer's performance. We'd always been talking about USB, but now only I know that USB is also a BUS ! The intel was promoting about their duo core processor, yet I never had an idea what it is. Except that maybe more means better? Surely duo core is better than single core? Yup it was in all these lecture notes that I got to find out about them.

So back to my pancake story.

I don't really like to eat. I hate meal times in university, when I have to think of what to eat and there isn't any nice food within the campus radius. But it was when I was studying half way at home that day, that I suddenly craved for food. I seem to be hungrier when I am studying. I gota feed my brain. And I knew, I had a box of premixed pancake powder lying in the cupboard down there in the kitchen.

For the fun of it, or maybe just to quench my hunger, I started making pancakes for the 1st time in my life. The direction written on the box was simple. Just add in water. Or milk, if you want creamier pancakes. I would opt for the latter. It said a pouch of powder could make 8-9 pancakes. That was a lot !




Variety is the spice of life. I started searching for flavours to be added into my pancake mixture.

I saw a tin of Milo. Yes that would make nice chocolate pancakes. A tablespoon would be sufficient.




I love coffee. Are there coffee pancakes? I think I had not seen one. But I can make one. Curiously, I added in a tablespoon of coffee powder into my mixture. Coffee could be bitter. I do not want bitter pancakes. Perhaps, some sugar might make the flavour more pleasant. In went the sugar.

As for the last mixture, I was thinking of cheese. Yes those thin slices of cheese that went with bread. I cut them into small pieces and had them mixed into my pancake mixture.

Frying the pancakes was rather fun. But it was tricky to ensure that my pancakes are round enough and didn't get out of shape when I flipped them. Some of them got scattered in the flipping process.



Cheese pancakes


Coffee pancakes

Finally, I got to taste my pancakes. I must admit, the colour for cheese pancakes look more inviting. Chocolate and coffee pancakes had a darker shade of brown. But after eating all 3 flavours, I still think I prefer coffee pancake:).




Clockwise : Coffee, Cheese, Milo

It tasted not bad, just like pancakes should taste. But I made too many pancakes. Eating 2 was full enough. The rest of the pancakes went to my family members.

3 comments:

KwOnG FeI said...

wa.. xin ying can cook too! and great innovations..
jia you in exam! i too having exam now.. sad case but no pan cake for me to eat..haha

VirusHunter-VH said...

Wao, those pancake look nice. Hope can have chance to eat one day.
:)

Xin Ying said...

Kwong Fei : Oh my, I gave you the impression that I can't cook ever since the Kasturi era? Hahah thanks to my course, I know the theories of food processing :).

Yen : Let you try it when you are back :)

Bloggies

《大馬部落》

BlogMalaysia.com